Monday, April 4, 2016

Monday Movie Mania - My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2

DH made me take a break from working Sunday afternoon and took me to see My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2. It's hard to believe it's been fourteen years since the original movie was in theaters.

Toula's story picks up during her daughter Paris's senior year in high school. She tried so hard to make something of her life only to find herself stuck, not only in a middle-aged mom rut, but she realizes she's turned into her own mother.

I'm not going to even put in a SPOILERS warning because, well, there's nothing to spoil. The movie tries to recapture the sweetness and charm of the original.

And it does, sort of. However, like the 2003 sitcom based on Nia Vardalos's screenplay, the movie relies too much on stereotypical comedy tropes.

The one plus is that the entire cast is back from the original, except Elena Kampouris has replaced Arielle Sugarman as Paris Miller.

I had a lot of hope for this movie because both DH and I loved the original. Unfortunately, I have to give the movie only five out of ten stars.

1 comment:

  1. I liked the first one so much I followed Nia Vardalos' career for awhile. Connie and Carla and My Life In Ruins were both pretty fun for me.

    ReplyDelete